+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    http://www.hngn.com/articles/218803/...cin-gortat.htm

Not from a reliable source but its about a player that we've talked about.

Trade machine shows +3 to OKC and - 12 to the Wiz.

Me personally I like the trade, I hate to part with Kanter because I think he's extremely underappreciated but I like Porter over Roberson and Oubre over Singler. Gortat would be a nice veteran post presence coming off the bench.

Only way to get rid of Roberson is to trade him with someone good, that means Kanter.

Damm I love Gortat but would he be happy coming off the bench?

I'd hate to lose Roberson and Kanter, but I really like this trade.

Why would Washington trade away both of their young sf's?

I even started a thread about trading for Porter but Washington doesn't give up Porter and Oubre for our bench players.

Although this rumor seems 100% bogus, I wish it were true. Gortat is cheaper than Kanter and Porter has played well. This is some concern about his long term health for his hip. I dont know much about Oubre, but I always like taking chances on young talent.

I don't see how this trade makes either team better. It doesn't give OKC extra cap flexibility. It doesn't give Washington cap flexibility. Singler and Oubre have both been bad the last two years, although Oubre has a chance to develop. Roberson and Porter are similar and both are RFAs that will get paid this off-season. I like Gortat better than Kanter, but I'm not sure he's a better fit for OKC. They would still be needing that other big time scorer that they need now. They need another big time offensive player not more defense. Washington just gave Mahinmi a big contract this off-season so you wouldn't think they'd be looking to add another big contract center to tie up $35M/yr in one position.

I'm not seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizz Fastfists View Post
    I don't see how this trade makes either team better. It doesn't give OKC extra cap flexibility. It doesn't give Washington cap flexibility. Singler and Oubre have both been bad the last two years, although Oubre has a chance to develop. Roberson and Porter are similar and both are RFAs that will get paid this off-season. I like Gortat better than Kanter, but I'm not sure he's a better fit for OKC. They would still be needing that other big time scorer that they need now. They need another big time offensive player not more defense. Washington just gave Mahinmi a big contract this off-season so you wouldn't think they'd be looking to add another big contract center to tie up $35M/yr in one position.
    I feel like Porter is a significant upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
    I feel like Porter is a significant upgrade.
    Porter would be a better fit on offense due to his better 3pt shooting, but he is not a roster upgrade in a vacuum. Roberson is a better defender. Porter is a better shooter. Overall, they are equally valuable players. Porter might hold more value to OKC because of his 3pt shooting. Ideally, OKC would get Porter without giving up Roberson then they would have Roberson as the starting SG and Porter at sF with Oladipo as the 6th man. That would give OKC a very strong defensive wing rotation with Roberson in a reduced role playing the first 4-6 min of the game to stagger the rest time of Oladipo and Russ. I don't see Roberson finishing games with Russ, Oladipo and Porter as options for the 1-3.

If OKC could end up with Russ, Payne, Oladipo, Roberson, Porter, Abrines, Sabonis, and Adams on the roster I would be thrilled.

Porter would be a better fit on offense due to his better 3pt shooting, but he is not a roster upgrade in a vacuum. Roberson is a better defender. Porter is a better shooter. Overall, they are equally valuable players. Porter might hold more value to OKC because of his 3pt shooting. Ideally, OKC would get Porter without giving up Roberson then they would have Roberson as the starting SG and Porter at sF with Oladipo as the 6th man. That would give OKC a very strong defensive wing rotation with Roberson in a reduced role playing the first 4-6 min of the game to stagger the rest time of Oladipo and Russ. I don't see Roberson finishing games with Russ, Oladipo and Porter as options for the 1-3.

If OKC could end up with Russ, Payne, Oladipo, Roberson, Porter, Abrines, Sabonis, and Adams on the roster I would be thrilled.

I agree with some of what you said. But I don't like Roberson as much as you do. And I think Oladipo should start. Grant, Abrines and Payne off the bench.

I would much prefer to keep Kanter over Roberson, Payne or Abrines. Payne is a career back up as long as we have Russ, Abrines may be a rookie but he is only a year younger than Kanter and Roberson while a good defender. He also has an expiring contract and just isn't as good as Kanter.

I have a lot of respect for your opinion, but I have no problem sending Roberson packing. We will never have a good offense against the better teams with him on the floor. He got flukey hot against the Spurs which is a big reason why we won that series, but the bog downs can often be pinned squarely on the other team ignoring Andre.

How many times do we see the ball move around and swing side to side, the O looks promising, and then it winds up in a wide up Roberson's hands with 10 on the clock? He either chucks up a three or we wind up in a reset situation with the clock running down. Both are poor options. Maybe some is on Billy to find something to do with him other than camp out behind the line, but even in the paint he is a poor finisher and doesn't have the best hands. Outside of lobs I have little faith in him scoring inside either. And if he gets fouled, it gets even worse.

Roberson shot 60% from 2 ball land last season and he is at a respectable 56% so far early in the season. He continues to be misused by trying to turn him into some kind of 3 pt threat that he clearly never will be.

By the way, he only shot well in game 6 against the Spurs. He did excellent against the Warriors and it was a factor in us going up 3-1.
    Favorite quote: 'Keep it close and let SINGLER work his playmaking magic late in the game'

Welcome to the new NBA. Four quarters of dance competition (Thunder Girls vs. the Laker Girls!) interrupted by brief displays of basketball.