Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Knrstz View Post
    I'm not opposed to keeping him on the team but he only needs to be used situationally.
    A player who can shut down your opponent's best player has no business sitting on the bench. He needs to stop hesitating with his shot. I'd say...don't believe me nor you. Let's believe Russ, maybe the best player in the NBA, when he screams at Dre, "Shoot the ball!"

Roberson has played welll defensively at times. He played well against Harden. He's also had times he didn't shut down the opponents best player. Isaiah Thomas had no problem scoring against Roberson. Then hack-a-Roberson came in to play. He didn't play welll defensively against Minnesota. Rather than believe what Russ yells, I'll believe what Andre does. He's a poor three point shooter and worse free throw shooter. Even if he quits hesitating, I still think he's a lousy shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Knrstz View Post
    Even if he quits hesitating, I still think he's a lousy shooter.
    Of course he is...but what you're missing and what I'm trying to tell you...and what Russ is trying to tell Andre...is that he's totally screwing up the flow when he hesitates. A few open missed shots in the scheme of things is not a big deal, but disrupting the flow screws up everything. And I think you're selling Dre's defense VERY short.

I see what you're saying, and I agree to an extent. However simply having a quick trigger will not force the other team to guard him. He has to actually make the shots. Allowing him to go 1–5 or 2–7 from three isn't something that will prevent teams from clogging the lane. They are a lot more worried about the high percentage shots of RW driving and shooting/dishing than they are of Roberson beating them from three. So it's a double edge sword with him on offense. He either hesitates and tries to get the ball to someone else therefore disrupting the flow, or he unhesitatingly shoots a three. I'm not saying he isn't a fantastic defender. I'm saying his offense is broken and I don't think it can be fixed. I don't think he's garbage. I believe he has a place on this team. It's just very difficult to compensate for a shooting guard who can't shoot as opposed to a big man who stays close to the basket.

Andre is about a 30% 3-pt shooter over his career. Not great, but enough that he could make a difference in a close game and be worth at least trying to close out on him. But if he never shoots, there's no reason to even attempt to guard him, ya know? So he needs to shoot the damn ball unless there's an obvious better option than a wide-open 3. A lot of folks have complained in recent seasons about our need for better 3 pt. shooters, but over the last few years I've decided that the Thunder's problem isn't that they need better perimeter shooters...it's that we don't hit them in rhythm. Or rather, we hadn't been doing that very effectively prior to this year. I've griped a lot about our ball movement in the past and I think that's what was keeping the Thunder from being a better 3 pt shooting team. We played too much iso-ball with KD and Russ, so hitting the open man was more of a bailout or after-thought. That led to awkward 3 pt attempts that predictably often fell short unless your initials were KD or RW...and you could maybe even restrict that to only KD. LOL But this year, we're knocking down a lot of 3's. And you can't tell me that Sabonis, Lauvergne, and Grant are that much better than some of the guys we've had in previous years, yet they're all a threat to knock down a 3. Tempo is huge. And when the Thunder get into a flow, they can play with almost everyone...almost. So that's where I mark down Andre. He's f*cking up the flow. Just shoot the damn ball and let the game flow! The other players will take care of any misses...hopefully. Hmm...maybe it still comes back around to...trust your teammates.

To me the only time you play Andre is when you need his defense. He's not fixing his shot and when he's on the floor his defender is free to move into the lane and make Russ work that much harder at getting into the paint. When he's not on the floor things flow so easy on offense and Russ has no problem getting into the paint. The opposing team last night was absolutely daring him to shoot the ball from 3 and he wouldn't bite after that horrible start. Andre is 25 now in his 4th season and his 3pt % is going down the more shots he takes. He's not fixing that shot of his from what i'm seeing. The bad thing is the hack Andre is coming into play too and i'm telling you that is going to bite us at some point but i did notice Billy pulled him yesterday going against what he said he was going to do.. Thankfully because i can guarantee if they would have fouled him a few more times last night they could have cut into that lead.

Andre's defense is good on matchups he can keep up speed wise. He's not good on guys like Isaiah he's just too fast and crafty for Andre but i like him playing against those all stars that he can defend at. There's nothing wrong with having him in those situations but he is NOT a starting player in this league that should be playing every game and getting a lot of minutes. He should be used situational against players he can be effective on and that's about it IMO. I used to think he could probably play with the second unit some but i don't even think that is a good idea he's just that bad offensively. If Grant can pick up his defense like he's been doing the last couple games and continue to improve on that then you have a lot better option with him or even Abrines who is getting better defensively as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gthunder View Post
    The opposing team last night was absolutely daring him to shoot the ball from 3 and he wouldn't bite...
    THAT'S the problem...not his percentage from 3. Shoot the ball. Then you force our opponents to gamble as to whether they think they can out rebound the Thunder. That's a losing bet, IMHO, when our point guard can out-rebound your center. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Why Not? View Post
    THAT'S the problem...not his percentage from 3. Shoot the ball. Then you force our opponents to gamble as to whether they think they can out rebound the Thunder. That's a losing bet, IMHO, when our point guard can out-rebound your center. lol
    But if they are not guarding him, then you have 5 from the other team vs. only 4 on our team going for a rebound. That's a losing proposition for us. His 3pt season average of .295 (with no signs he can improve) vs. this years league average of about .360 should show him (and the coaches), that's not his shot, but driving to the basket can be.
    Favorite quote: 'Keep it close and let SINGLER work his playmaking magic late in the game'

Welcome to the new NBA. Four quarters of dance competition (Thunder Girls vs. the Laker Girls!) interrupted by brief displays of basketball.