+ Reply to Thread
    I got off topic a bit with the thread on the Thunder board so I figured that this would be better off on the NBA board.

I personally don't want the league to expand but there are always rumors of Seattle finally getting it's act together so Montreal would seem to be a good EC option. My reasoning is market size, economic strength, arena in place and lack of pro sports competition.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...am-or-reality/

interesting. I am all for expansion, but it has to be done right. The Thunder while not an expansion was done excellently. The city embraced the team and embraced those of us who came from following Seattle as long as we came with a decent mindset.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterJohnsonOK View Post
    I was injured several times in my late teens from trying to re-inact ****os

Oklahoma City, OK; Farm: Hannibal Harlin Estates, Jones Prairie, TX
    Louisville, Montreal, St. Louis or Seattle would make good NBA expansion or relocation cities.

Louisville, Kentucky
    Population: MSA - 1,269,702, City - 612,780
    Major League Sports (None, potential breakthrough city)
    Arena: KFC Yum Center 22,090, 2010 construction cost: $238 Million
    DMA TV Households: Louisville 662,170 & Lexington 472,550 Combined: 1,134,670

Montreal, Quebec
    Population: MSA - 4,027,100, City - 1,649,519
    Major League Sports - NHL Canadiens, CFL Alouettes, MLS Impact
    Arena - Centre Bell 22,114, 1996 construction cost: $270 million
    DMA TV Households: Montreal 1,800,000 est

St. Louis, Missouri
    Population: MSA - 2,811,588, City - 315,685
    Major League Sports - MLB Cardinals, NHL Blues, MLS radar
    Arena - Scottrade Center 22,000, 1994 construction cost: $135 million/$160 million renovation planned.
    DMA TV Households: St. Louis 1,215,570

Seattle, Washington
    Population: 3,733,580 MSA, 684,451 City
    Major League Sports: MLB Mariners, NFL Seahawks, MLS Sounders FC
    Arena: Key Arena 17,072, 1995 renovation cost $74.5 million (temporary home).
    New arena planned pending NHL & NBA joint tenants: http://www.king5.com/news/local/seat...nder/341564181
    DMA TV households: Seattle-Tacoma 1,808,530
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." Charles Darwin

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Does Montreal like NBA?

The NBA needs contraction not expansion. There isn't enough talent to go around as it is. The NBA might want to remember why there was a lockout during the last CBA negotiations. They had teams that couldn't draw players and had to get the players to give up 2-3% of the revenue in order to make the league financially viable again. Expanding to create more irrelevant teams will end up reducing the per team profit sharing and stall the financial benefits they have been reaping recently and will lead to another lockout in a decade, or sooner, to try to get more money back from the players.

Until they figure out a better way to eliminate the "super teams" that are created the NBA is probably going to struggle. OKC is doing well because it's the only pro sport in the state and they have had success to help. But around the country people are not real thrilled to watch the same teams year after year compete with all the talent while everyone else is struggling to keep up.

Oklahoma City, OK; Farm: Hannibal Harlin Estates, Jones Prairie, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
    Does Montreal like NBA?
    They sold out (20,738) the two preseason games involving Toronto played at the Bell Centre in 2014 & 2015.
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." Charles Darwin

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by gthunder View Post
    Until they figure out a better way to eliminate the "super teams" that are created the NBA is probably going to struggle. OKC is doing well because it's the only pro sport in the state and they have had success to help. But around the country people are not real thrilled to watch the same teams year after year compete with all the talent while everyone else is struggling to keep up.
    For the most part the latest CBA does exactly that. Durant took advantage of a blip created by the new TV contract. The league tried to smooth it out to prevent it but the players wouldn't go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cjthunder View Post
    For the most part the latest CBA does exactly that. Durant took advantage of a blip created by the new TV contract. The league tried to smooth it out to prevent it but the players wouldn't go for it.
    The league is unfortunately a victim of it's own success. The extra tv revenue created a monster jump in the cap which led to KD leaving to GS.

Also, the NBA is the only sport where the best team actually wins the championship. Football has a one and done play format which allows for a great chance at upsets as well as schedule makers and more injuries which help create parity.

Baseball and hockey are more considered to be "chance" sports where luck plays a role and the team with the hot goaltender or hot pitching staff wind up winning.

But it's not as bad as the media and general public make it out to be. We have had 6 different champions in the last 7 seasons...

2016/Cleveland
    2015/GState
    2014/San Antonio
    2013/Miami
    2012/Miami
    2011/Dallas
    2010/LA Lakers

Granted, the top heaviness right now is about as bad as it's been since the Shaq/Kobe Laker 3peat but it's just a matter of waiting it out. Keep in mind that KD is already in his 10th season and his foot isn't going to get any better. A team that relies on the 3 as much as the Warriors will eventually see their run end and I'm betting it's sooner than later.
    Last edited by Trueblood; 01-17-2017 at 10:37 AM.

Let's hope this article doesn't have any validity to it. NBA sources as well as Seattle sources have been shooting it down all morning but you never know.

https://16winsaring.com/sources-nba-...3d6#.27n4dw3jt

Mexico City is an awful idea. It used to be rumored as the 30th NBA market before they gave the 30th team to Charlotte after the Hornets moved to New Orleans. Stern admitted that there are just too many logistical hurdles so they eliminated them from possibly having a team but apparently, they're back on the radar unless this is just a smoke screen to get Louisville and Seattle to cough up more expansion dough.

There is the language barrier plus the travel and kidnapping issues. Not to mention that the arena doesn't appear to be up to NBA standards and is on the outskirts of town. Most NBA arenas are downtown nowadays.

I've pushed for Montreal but people keep talking about the weak Canadian dollar. If the Canadian dollar is weak then what is the peso?

Still, way too many hurdles for Mexico City especially when you have better options north of the border. If Montreal really isn't being considered and this article actually has legs to it then let's hope that Louisville pushes ahead of Seattle or that we just forget expansion altogether.