+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Presti wants to build around Russ. He's said as much already. This is 100% Russ' decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Knrstz View Post
    The problem with trading Russ is that the majority of fans think we can trade Kanter for Paul George. I think you're overselling the knowledge of the average fan. I hear people call in to sports radio all of the time and suggest this stuff. Even the local hosts talk about ridiculous trade scenarios.
    That is the part of the fan base that will be pissed if Kanter gets traded. The part that has no understanding and thinks that Kanter can bring back something positive. Paul George has told Indy that he is leaving for LAL next off-season. They might trade him for whatever positive assets they could get as a one year rental. Kanter would be the price match part of the trade, but it would take Sabonis, Abrines and #21 to get a rental of PG13 if you are attaching Kanter's contract. I think Cleveland comes in and offers Love and a future 1st for PG13 and Indy takes that and trades Love for a rebuilding package.

Presti wants to build around Russ. He's said as much already. This is 100% Russ' decision.
    Presti also said there was no deal close that involved Ibaka about 2 hours before trading him.

Lol you guys should be applying for gm positions since everyone else is so ignorant about what is best for the franchise. Trade Russ or bust is your mentality.. others think differently including me because Russ is the hardest part of any chance of a title in the future. You just can't go out and find guys like him.. I do agree this is 100% Russ's decision.

I tend to think the better approach when you are a playoff team with the MVP as part of your team that you try to build around that. If it doesn't work in a couple years then so be it but you don't give up on the MVP when a year ago and one player less you were in the hunt..

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder in NY View Post
    YOu could make the argument that you are doing right by Westbrook by trading him. There is about a 0% chance the Thunder are winning a title in the next 2 years.
    You can say that about every team not named the Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by gthunder View Post
    Lol you guys should be applying for gm positions since everyone else is so ignorant about what is best for the franchise. Trade Russ or bust is your mentality.. others think differently including me because Russ is the hardest part of any chance of a title in the future. You just can't go out and find guys like him.. I do agree this is 100% Russ's decision.

I tend to think the better approach when you are a playoff team with the MVP as part of your team that you try to build around that. If it doesn't work in a couple years then so be it but you don't give up on the MVP when a year ago and one player less you were in the hunt..
    Tell me what GM in past history starts building a team from scratch with a 28 year old superstar and no assets?

Tell me what GM in past history starts building a team from scratch with a 28 year old superstar and no assets?
    Pat Riley! Presti just has to create the cap space and get LeBron and Cousins to come to OKC next off-season and they can be the Heat 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizz Fastfists View Post
    Pat Riley! Presti just has to create the cap space and get LeBron and Cousins to come to OKC next off-season and they can be the Heat 2.0.
    Who wants to help me plant coconut palms in Bricktown?

I think a lot of this depends on what happens with the Warriors and the Spurs. If the Warriors are able to keep their group together or the Spurs get more help for Kawai, trading Russ won't matter much. All it will change is which round we go out in.

It will be interesting to see if OKC can get Love in a three way trade. I actually think they can get him but if they give up too much they won't be any better. The key is if Indiana values 21, Abrines and Sabonis enough to take Kanter as an expiring contract. If they want Oladipo then it's not worth it.

All I'm saying is I think too many of you guys are painting this dooms day picture and the only way out is to trade Russ and that is just not smart IMO. Russ is entering his prime right now and he's going to be a dominant force in the NBA for several years with an extremely hungry championship attitude. THAT is what i'm talking about you cannot duplicate that out of a draft even in 3 or 4 years it just not happening that takes a long time and a lot of playoff experience for Russ to be where he is.

I don't think you guys who love Presti in the draft give him enough credit to try and make this work for Russ.. I am not saying i have 100% confidence in Presti BUT... there is no question he put together a championship team around cupcake last season he was here and many thought he would never get there. So why then do people think he has no way whatsoever to do that in the next 3 year with Russ?? If there's anyone that can put together a 3 or 4 year plan for someone he seems to be pretty good at doing that so i'm just not seeing any better options for OKC right now. DOes that mean success?? no odds are against us no matter what we do but to me the odds are better when you have the MVP and the mentality of a guy like Russ.. Stick with it and work with him is my vote all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by gthunder View Post
    Russ is entering his prime right now and he's going to be a dominant force in the NBA for several years with an extremely hungry championship attitude. THAT is what i'm talking about you cannot duplicate that out of a draft even in 3 or 4 years it just not happening that takes a long time and a lot of playoff experience for Russ to be where he is.
    Assuming that Russ is human and he is following the career arch of the superstars that came before him then he is in his prime right now. He will be exiting his prime after TWO seasons and in FOUR he will not be capable of carrying a team anywhere near what he does now. He could be the rare player that beats father time and extends that, but I'm not betting on it because his entire game is based on speed and athleticism and speed is always the first thing that father time strips away.

If Presti has some magical way to turn no assets and no cap room into a contender in '18-'19 then sure you have one more run with prime Russ. If not then you are out of time for prime Russ to make a run in OKC.

We've already given Presti an entire season. What he's done so far is debatable in signing Adams and Oladipo to extensions. The Chicago trade was good but not hugely impactful. This Thursday is another potentially important night as it seems like some big deals could be happening. If it comes and go and we don't do much, it's one more missed opportunity for Presti to prove he can build around Russ. No one is denying Russ' greatness, we are denying Presti's ability to make it happen in a very short time frame with a less than ideal hand he's dealt himself.

Adams and Oladipo's huge extensions kick in this coming season. We will see if they are worth or close to worth it. Westbrook/Adams/Oladipo is obviously Presti's main plan going forward.
    Favorite quote: 'Keep it close and let SINGLER work his playmaking magic late in the game'

Welcome to the new NBA. Four quarters of dance competition (Thunder Girls vs. the Laker Girls!) interrupted by brief displays of basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizz Fastfists View Post
    Assuming that Russ is human and he is following the career arch of the superstars that came before him then he is in his prime right now. He will be exiting his prime after TWO seasons and in FOUR he will not be capable of carrying a team anywhere near what he does now. He could be the rare player that beats father time and extends that, but I'm not betting on it because his entire game is based on speed and athleticism and speed is always the first thing that father time strips away.

If Presti has some magical way to turn no assets and no cap room into a contender in '18-'19 then sure you have one more run with prime Russ. If not then you are out of time for prime Russ to make a run in OKC.
    He doesn't have to be at his peak performance to be able to win a title. He needs help so he doesn't HAVE to be at a peak performance. There isn't a player in the NBA that will win a title because they are in their peak. Russ will be a dominant PG in the league for at least the next 5 years... He may not have another season like he just had where he's avg a triple double but that doesn't mean he won't be an amazing PG for a team. It's not like you have to win with Russ in the next 2 years or forget it all doors closed the guy is washed up boot him off the team.. THere's been an amazing amount of stars over the years PAST their prime that have helped lead a team to a title.