+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    2,635
    The Thunder currently don't have a true PF. Melo is masquerading as one but even in the pace & space NBA, he barely qualifies as a 4.

    The Clippers start Danilo Gallinari & Blake Griffin at the 2 forward spots. In this day & age, Gallo would make a perfect 4. Bigger & Taller than Melo with an even better outside shot needed to stretch the floor.

    You basically have one team with two 4's & the other with two 3's. Both teams are playing lousy or at least worse than we anticipated & the unbalance in the lineup has to play a role.

    Blake gets criticized a lot on here but if there's a star in the league who will be loyal to OKC through thick & thin, you would hope it would be him.

    Melo loves LA.

    Balanced lineups for both teams. Melo at the 3 spot with Gallo as the stretch 4.

    Blake continues playing his natural 4 in his hometown.

    Does the Thunder do this? Do the Clippers?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK; Farm: Hannibal Harlin Estates, Jones Prairie, TX
    Posts
    2,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblood View Post
    The Thunder currently don't have a true PF. Melo is masquerading as one but even in the pace & space NBA, he barely qualifies as a 4.

    The Clippers start Danilo Gallinari & Blake Griffin at the 2 forward spots. In this day & age, Gallo would make a perfect 4. Bigger & Taller than Melo with an even better outside shot needed to stretch the floor.

    You basically have one team with two 4's & the other with two 3's. Both teams are playing lousy or at least worse than we anticipated & the unbalance in the lineup has to play a role.

    Blake gets criticized a lot on here but if there's a star in the league who will be loyal to OKC through thick & thin, you would hope it would be him.

    Melo loves LA.

    Balanced lineups for both teams. Melo at the 3 spot with Gallo as the stretch 4.

    Blake continues playing his natural 4 in his hometown.

    Does the Thunder do this? Do the Clippers?
    Great idea!

    ...with Ibaka gone; Griffin would be a godsend for the Thunder & OKC.

    Ooh wah, ooh wah cool, cool kitty
    Talk about the boy from Oklahoma City
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." Charles Darwin

    "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,033
    I doubt they would do it Blake just signed long term there at LA and we'd have to wait until the time limit since we just traded for Melo right? But yes i'd do it in a heart beat.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by gthunder View Post
    I doubt they would do it Blake just signed long term there at LA and we'd have to wait until the time limit since we just traded for Melo right? But yes i'd do it in a heart beat.
    You're correct from a salary cap standpoint. The earliest that trade could be consummated would be December 15th. It's also possible that Blake has a no trade clause being that he's been with the same team for 8 years & just resigned with them although I don't know if he mandated that clause to be part of the contract. I could see him waiving it for a trade to OKC though.

    I will add that LA radio has been buzzing with Clipper trade talk & the possibility of Doc being fired. This is sort of how my trade idea took form in the first place. The general feeling is that a shakeup needs to happen. They signed Blake to that massive deal under the assumption that his presence would steer them in the right direction. If they are still below .500 come December 15th, I could see them trying to get out from under his deal for someone like Melo who will be unrestricted as early as this summer & definitely 2019 if he doesn't opt out this summer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblood View Post
    You're correct from a salary cap standpoint. The earliest that trade could be consummated would be December 15th. It's also possible that Blake has a no trade clause being that he's been with the same team for 8 years & just resigned with them although I don't know if he mandated that clause to be part of the contract. I could see him waiving it for a trade to OKC though.

    I will add that LA radio has been buzzing with Clipper trade talk & the possibility of Doc being fired. This is sort of how my trade idea took form in the first place. The general feeling is that a shakeup needs to happen. They signed Blake to that massive deal under the assumption that his presence would steer them in the right direction. If they are still below .500 come December 15th, I could see them trying to get out from under his deal for someone like Melo who will be unrestricted as early as this summer & definitely 2019 if he doesn't opt out this summer.
    Well I would love to do it but then you'd be banking EVERYTHING on Russ + Blake + Adams.. Those 3 combined would be over 90 mil alone. If you tried to keep PG13 in there you'd already be hitting the cap so wouldn't be able to keep all of them.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,140
    Quote Originally Posted by gthunder View Post
    Well I would love to do it but then you'd be banking EVERYTHING on Russ + Blake + Adams.. Those 3 combined would be over 90 mil alone. If you tried to keep PG13 in there you'd already be hitting the cap so wouldn't be able to keep all of them.
    They have PG's bird rights. Keeping him with Blake wouldn't really be any different then keeping him with Melo from a cap stand point. It would only be about $3M more next season to have Blake over Melo. Yes, they would be over the cap and likely in the tax. The only way that changes is if PG leaves this off-season. I don't think the Clippers would consider Melo for Blake, but I don't think OKC turns that down and especially not for cap reasons.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts