+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizz Fastfists View Post
    Then they should get rid of the team. There will be a rebuild at some point rather it happens sooner or later. If the fans are going to run away when that happens then OKC can't support a team. I think the fans will embrace a rebuild a lot more then they would embrace missing the playoffs with Russ for multiple seasons being a late lottery team with real shot at superstar talent through FA or the draft. At least in a rebuild they could get excited about the top 5 picks with potential.
    I think the fans will support a rebuild at the right time, but not be trading away the MVP to do it, nor should they. We pay good money to go to the games.

We should keep Russ for his entire 20 year NBA career.
    Favorite quote: ThunderStruckBOOM: 'We will be .600 by all star break or damn near.....and top 4 come playoffs. ****ing Debbie downers....'

Welcome to the new NBA. Four quarters of dance competition (Thunder Girls vs. the Laker Girls!) interrupted by brief displays of basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyJordanSingler View Post
    We should keep Russ for his entire 20 year NBA career.
    He'll be done as a quality starter by the time his current contract is up. Russ would be 39 in his 20th season. Remember how bad Kobe was his last few years? Kobe was 37 his final season.

What were they going to get for Jerami Grant? I would have take a 2nd round pick for him, but I can't imagine a team giving anything for him.
    I would've been fine with that. Its something. I just dont like where this looks like its headed...
    The God of Thunder has spoken...

Quote Originally Posted by cjthunder View Post
    I think the fans will support a rebuild at the right time, but not be trading away the MVP to do it, nor should they. We pay good money to go to the games.
    Yeah, trading Russ isnt an option. He will retire here.... hopefully... right? guys?
    The God of Thunder has spoken...

I think the fans will support a rebuild at the right time, but not be trading away the MVP to do it, nor should they.
    I think the fans will stick around, too. We may not have sell-out crowds every game, but there will be enough to keep this thing going. And I agree we should ride Russ as far as he'll take us.

I think Russ has another 2 or 3 seasons at an elite level. He will start to lose a step at some point but that doesn't mean he still won't be an elite player. The bigger question would be is if he's patient enough for a rebuild.. he may very well ask for a trade at some point. I just don't think he'd care to go through a complete rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by gthunder View Post
    I think Russ has another 2 or 3 seasons at an elite level. He will start to lose a step at some point but that doesn't mean he still won't be an elite player. The bigger question would be is if he's patient enough for a rebuild.. he may very well ask for a trade at some point. I just don't think he'd care to go through a complete rebuild.
    This biggest problem with this is the early success of the franchise. In over a decade we have "suffered" through 1 bad season. And even then we knew we had a young talented team. Will the fans still pack the arena when the team goes through seasons like Sacramento, Milwaukee, Portland and Utah have been through. Other small markets that had decades when they knew there was no chance to be a top team.

He'll be done as a quality starter by the time his current contract is up. Russ would be 39 in his 20th season. Remember how bad Kobe was his last few years? Kobe was 37 his final season.
    Players are lasting longer and longer in all sport these days. People are living longer, training is better, etc. Federer and Serena in tennis are doing things never before done at their age. Tom Brady is still one of the best at age 40 or whatever he is. Jagr was playing good hockey well past 40.

Players are lasting longer and longer in all sport these days. People are living longer, training is better, etc. Federer and Serena in tennis are doing things never before done at their age. Tom Brady is still one of the best at age 40 or whatever he is. Jagr was playing good hockey well past 40.
    Russ relies far more on his athleticism than anyone mentioned including kobe.

Life expectancy in the US went down over the last 12 months so no, people are not living longer. The average player is not lasting longer.

You named FOUR athletes. That is with an entire world to choose from. Those are exceptions they are not normal. The average career arch for athletes has not changed in the last 30 years with the exception of baseball where it changed during the steroid era and has corrected itself since they started testing. Julio Franco played until he was 48. Does that mean we should expect all baseball players to be playing until 50 or do we accept that he was a VERY rare exception? Favre played until he was 41, but most of his age 35+ seasons he was average and no where near the player he used to be. You can find the RARE exception of a player that plays longer then normal at a high level, but I refuse to expect that of any athlete until they do it. I expect athletes to follow the average career curve. I don't expect players to be the rare exception, especially not a basketball player that has had multiple knee procedures before age 30. Only 30 players in NBA history have played past their 40th birthday. Assuming Dirk does it he will be #31 and as great as Dirk was he has only had 4 seasons since turning 30 where you would want him starting if your team was trying to contend. NONE of them were great players at the end of their careers.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...he-nba-average
    https://weaksideawareness.wordpress....ayers-details/

Life expectancy in the US went down over the last 12 months so no, people are not living longer. The average player is not lasting longer.
    You are going to use a one year change on life expectancy while saying Russ will decline like players from a decade or two ago? That makes no sense. There are always small fluctuations but long term it is going up. Maybe someday that will stop but a one or two year blip is hardly enough to reach that conclusion.

There are plenty of reasons not related to age that career lengths are what they are. Players make so much money now they don't need to stick around for one. Teams also have no incentive to keep older players that don't have upside simply because they cost more. Teams are also learning to play stars less minutes during the season. Will it help? Maybe, maybe not, but it won't hurt.

PS...Russ is not your average player.

You named FOUR athletes. That is with an entire world to choose from. Those are exceptions they are not normal. The average career arch for athletes has not changed in the last 30 years with the exception of baseball where it changed during the steroid era and has corrected itself since they started testing. Julio Franco played until he was 48. Does that mean we should expect all baseball players to be playing until 50 or do we accept that he was a VERY rare exception? Favre played until he was 41, but most of his age 35+ seasons he was average and no where near the player he used to be. You can find the RARE exception of a player that plays longer then normal at a high level, but I refuse to expect that of any athlete until they do it. I expect athletes to follow the average career curve. I don't expect players to be the rare exception, especially not a basketball player that has had multiple knee procedures before age 30. Only 30 players in NBA history have played past their 40th birthday. Assuming Dirk does it he will be #31 and as great as Dirk was he has only had 4 seasons since turning 30 where you would want him starting if your team was trying to contend. NONE of them were great players at the end of their careers.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...he-nba-average
    https://weaksideawareness.wordpress....ayers-details/
    Russ is a great athlete but he is still human.

PS...Russ is not your average player.
    We agree on that. Unfortunately, he is the type of player that tends to have a shorter career then a pure shooter like Dirk, Nash, Stockton, kd, Curry, etc. When Russ loses a step he has can't fall back on his shooting or bbIQ to make up for it. Russ has no above average basketball skill outside of speed and athleticism. Speed always has been and always will be the first thing an athlete loses.