+ Reply to Thread
    Nice commentary in the International Herald Tribune (arm of the NY Times):

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/...hunder-Rdp.php

Thunder spoil Popovich's 1,000th game with Spurs

OKLAHOMA CITY: When the Oklahoma City Thunder last beat a Western Conference playoff contender, it prompted such embarrassment that the opposing team's owner threatened a shake-up and called out every player on his roster.

Maybe another notch on the Thunder's belt will prove that first big win wasn't a fluke.

Kevin Durant scored 25 points, Thabo Sefolosha added 12 and Oklahoma City spoiled Gregg Popovich's 1,000th game as San Antonio's coach by overcoming an early 17-point deficit to beat the Spurs 78-76 on Monday night.

Earlier in the day, Durant who, along with second-leading scorer Jeff Green, missed Oklahoma City's 96-87 win against Dallas two weeks ago questioned why the perception from that game was that the Mavericks played poorly instead of that the Thunder had vastly improved.

"That was upsetting to see that. It was, 'They did something wrong,'" Durant said. " ... Just give a little credit to us that we played all right that game."

Then he and his teammates went out and got an even more impressive victory against the team with the second-best record in the Western Conference.

"We had a couple of big leads in the first half and the second half, and they never gave in," Popovich said. "They did a great job. We made some poor decisions down the stretch, they made some better ones, and they got the game. They deserved it."

Thought that was a good remark from their coach.
    Adapt and overcome

No big surprise here...Popovich is a classy man and a great coach, and Cuban is a rich spoiled billionaire who acts like he's 18. Popovich recognizes an up and coming team that looks similar to his Spurs rebuilding job, and Cuban is a crybaby who is realizing that all his money can't keep his team from falling into mediocrity.

Are we copying the defense of the Spurs? I love it when we score big, but it looks like we do better when our defense is on.
    Adapt and overcome

okcnba Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstorm View Post
    Are we copying the defense of the Spurs? I love it when we score big, but it looks like we do better when our defense is on.
    Thabo has changed the way we seem to play as a team. Having a defending swingman (who can put up double digits with his athleticism) is so unbelievably valuable. My only problem with Thabo is he doesn't leave much room for DMase to come back in and do much. He plays the exact same game only Thabo is younger, more athletic, longer, faster, and can hit free throws. Mason's job on this team if he returns will be more like a player/coach which I guess isn't bad.

What kills me about watching Thabo is how much it opens my eyes to how good KD could be on the defensive end. He's a super athletic swingman with LONG arms just like Thabo. There is no logical reason why KD can't be as good of a defender.
    Last edited by okcnba; 03-17-2009 at 02:22 PM.

His name is Thabo...not Thebo. And I agree that he's a younger, longer and healthier version of DMase who can actually hit a FT.

Thabo making DMason expendable is a very good thing. This team is really going to be fun next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstorm View Post
    For sure. Our scoring stats are down big time of late, but our wins are way up. And who says defense doesn't lead to exciting basketball, just look at the Spurs game. These games with 120+ points are predictable. Score..down the court score. . . back down the court . . . score etc. etc. Add some defense in the mix and you don't know what is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast | Break View Post
    For sure. Our scoring stats are down big time of late, but our wins are way up. And who says defense doesn't lead to exciting basketball, just look at the Spurs game. These games with 120+ points are predictable. Score..down the court score. . . back down the court . . . score etc. etc. Add some defense in the mix and you don't know what is going to happen.
    I think the scoring fests are boring. Like watching an All Star game , or something like that.

I like to see really spectacular passes more than anything, but to be honest, rebounds and steals are my favorite parts of a game following that, so I don't need a high scoring game to be entertained. Now, a Westbrook dunk can be an amazing thing too, but most of them are meh. Seeing a 6'10'' to 7 footer dunk is not all that exciting, IMO.